Enterprise Service Bus (ESB)
An Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) implements a communication system between mutually interacting software applications. An Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) facilitates the transfer of data and
An Enterprise Service Bus can also be offered in a Cloud.
An ESB applies the design concept of modern operating systems to independent services running within networks of disparate and independent computers. Like concurrent operating systems, an ESB provides commodity services in addition to adoption, translation and routing of client requests to appropriate answering services.
The primary duties of an ESB are:
- Route messages between services
- Monitor and control routing of message exchange between services
- Resolve contention between communicating service components
- Control deployment and versioning of services
- Provide commodity services like event handling, data transformation and mapping, message and event queuing and sequencing, security or exception handling, protocol conversion and enforcing proper quality of communication service